NAFTA or no, Canada moves ahead with Gordie Howe bridge to U.S.

Despite threats of U.S. auto tariffs and heated trade talks, it’s full steam ahead for Canada on a new bridge between the two countries.

The contract to build and operate the Gordie Howe International Bridge connecting Detroit and Windsor was finalized Friday with an estimated lifetime cost of $5.7 billion. The consortium includes Toronto-based Aecon Group Inc. and the Canadian units of Madrid-based Actividades de Construccion y Servicios SA and Texas-based Fluor Corp.

It would bring a new 2.6 km, six-lane bridge across the Detroit River — the busiest corridor in Canada-U.S. trade, particularly for the auto sector. The bridge is being financed by the Canadian government and isn’t scheduled to open until 2024, but is nonetheless a bet that trade tensions will pass.

“There will always be a trading relationship between Canada and the United States,” said Dwight Duncan, board chair of the Windsor-Detroit Bridge Authority and former Ontario finance minister. He said they “never” considered delaying the project, pending trade talks. “Whatever glitches happen in the next six hours, six days, six months, there will continue to be a need for this crossing, there will continue to be trade.”

The bridge project is exposed to several fronts of the trade fight between the U.S. and Canada. The American owners of an existing, rival bridge are pressuring President Donald Trump — who is currently frustrated with Canada — to revoke a key waiver for the new one. Trump has threatened tariffs on Canadian auto imports, which would upend traffic and toll levels. A potential collapse of the North American Free Trade Agreement could sap trade between the nations.

Despite that, the bridge has support from a wide range of U.S. and Canadian political leaders of various partisan affiliations.

Duncan declined to say whether he has assurances the Trump administration won’t intervene, saying the president praised the project in a joint statement with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau last year.

“My job’s to get the bridge built and the bridge is going to get built,” Duncan said. “This is an important reminder of our commitment to the ongoing relationship between our two great countries.”

The bridge will be built with North American steel, primarily sourced within Canada. Tariffs on steel applied by both the U.S. and Canada are “not a big issue” for the project, Duncan said.

The public-private partnership contract includes $3.8 billion to build the project and $1.9 billion to operate it for 30 years. The price is higher than initially estimated, but Duncan said the previous Canadian government “grossly” underestimated the cost and timeline for the large-scale project.

The owners of the existing Ambassador Bridge said traffic levels have been falling — raising the prospect of a bridge growing in cost and hoping for a split share of declining toll revenue to pay itself off. Duncan brushed that aside, saying “it’ll be all recouped” and that traffic levels are falling in part “because of the poor condition of the other border crossings.” He didn’t say which. Traffic historically “trends up and it will continue to trend up, particularly on the commercial side,” he said.

The builder consortium raised $446.4 million in bond sales last week. S&P Global Ratings assigned the project a preliminary A- rating last month, which it said “reflects the strength and experience of the highly integrated consortium.” The project will create 2,500 construction jobs, the Windsor-Detroit Bridge Authority said in a statement.

Facebook’s slide stalls Intel-led advance on Wall Street

Wall Street ended flat on Friday as gains by Intel, real estate companies and utilities offset a drop in Facebook after the social media network disclosed a security breach.

China downplays U.S. trade tensions

The Chinese government’s top diplomat Wang Yi said on Friday there was no cause for concern or panic over trade friction between Beijing and Washington, adding that China follows a path to “peaceful” development. Rough Cut (no reporter narration).

Cloudflare gets into registrar business with wholesale domains and free privacy

Article intro image

Cloudflare, the content delivery network and website security provider, has increasingly been pushing into businesses that intersect with its core missions. Earlier this year, the company rolled out a new, free DNS service to help Internet users evade censorship (including an encrypted DNS service to evade surveillance of domain address queries). Now, the company has announced a barrage of new services to celebrate its eighth “birthday”—and one of them is an at-cost domain registrar.

While Cloudflare had already been handling domain registration through the company’s Enterprise Registrar service, that service was intended for some of Cloudflare’s high-end customers who wanted extra levels of security for their domain names. The new domain registrar business—called Cloudflare Registrar—will eventually be open to anyone, and it will charge exactly what it costs for Cloudflare to register a domain. As Cloudflare CEO Matthew Prince wrote in a blog post yesterday, “We promise to never charge you anything more than the wholesale price each TLD charges.” That includes the small fee assessed by ICANN for each registration.

Prince said that he was motivated to take the company into the registrar business because of Cloudflare’s own experience with registrars and by the perception that many registrars are in the business mostly to up-sell things that require no additional effort. “All the registrar does is record you as the owner of a particular domain,” Prince said. “That just involves sending some commands to an API. In other words, domain registrars are charging you for being a middle-man and delivering essentially no value to justify their markup.” Charging overhead for that sort of service, Prince said, “seemed as nutty to us as certificate authorities charging to run a bit of math.” (Cloudflare also provides free SSL certificates.)

Read 2 remaining paragraphs | Comments

World Cup 2030: Government would back UK and Ireland bid

The government says it would back a joint bid to host the 2030 Fifa World Cup tournament in the UK and Ireland.

Kavanaugh accuser Ford welcomes new FBI investigation: lawyer

Christine Blasey Ford, the woman who has accused U.S. Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh of sexual assault, welcomes an FBI investigation into the allegations, one of her lawyers said on Friday.

Senator’s dramatic demand spurs Trump to order FBI Kavanaugh probe

A dramatic last-minute demand by Republican Senator Jeff Flake on Friday prompted President Donald Trump to order an FBI investigation into his Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh over sexual misconduct allegations that have riveted the country and imperiled his confirmation chances.